Key Points For A Consistent & Realistic Artificial Lawn Installation
Can you spot the join? Thought not. This is because this artificial lawn has followed these key points.
3 Commonly Forgotten Points To Installing Artificial Grass Successfully
1 - Colour Matching
This is the most crucial point that customers either don't know about or underestimate. Artificial grass is produced in dye batches to make the artificial grass the shades of green and brown that they are. The problem is that all manufacturers are unable to guarantee that every roll of artificial grass is the exact same colour, which can cause a problem if you get two pieces of artificial turf and put them side by side. The solution to avoiding this disaster is colour matching. Colour matching ensures the cuts of artificial grass are from the same dye batch, which are supplied at the point on manufacturing. Always ask for a colour match if purchasing multiple pieces of artificial grass.
2 - Surface Preparation
An obvious one yes, but you'd be surprised how many artificial lawns don't stand the test of time because the foundations of the surface underneath were poorly done. It's simple to do as well, whatever your artificial grass is going on your aiming for a solid base. For an existing lawn:
- Remove this using a turf cutter to a depth of 2″ (or cut into squares with a spade to remove), then weed kill the area until you have a fine soil.
- Create a boundary around the perimeter using wooden battens, or ensure there is an edge of flags or stone wall to butt the new lawn up to.
- Remove unnecessary bumps, debris: then roughly level off.
- On the level area apply 7 - 12mm crushed rock; the area needs to be firm but porous.
- Again level the area with a large wooden batten and compact with a heavy roller or wacker plate. Once the entire area is compact add a fine sand aggregate, lightly wet the surface, then repeat the heavy roller or wacker plate procedure again.
3 - Seamless Joins
As demonstrated in the picture above, a seamless join makes for one faultless lawn. If you can see the join, the artificial grass no longer looks realistic and it becomes a huge giveaway. The trick for the perfect join is to roll out your artificial grass as flat as possible as if you were to ready to join in, but then leave it to settle for 2 hours. This may seam like a load of nonsense but because the membrane is so rigid it allows for it to lay down flat. Then where you are joining the artificial grass, pull the pieces together so they bud up next to each other perfectly. You are now ready to join the artificial grass, to do so lift up either side of the pieces and lay the joining tape in the middle all the way down. Apply the glue generously at a width of between 15cm and 25cm, then lay the artificial grass back down. When doing this press the pieces together all the way down and brush the grass to ensure the join is seamless.